BMW 3 Pricing, Reviews, and Specifications
Average BMW 3 Price: $12,484
BMW 3 Model Review
- High-quality German engineering and a long track record
- Plenty of badge appeal and strong resale values on the forecourts
- A wide range of models to choose from
- M series cars in particular are a popular bucket list addition
- BMWs don’t come without a significant price tag
- Some styling and trim question marks on recent models such as the X3
The current average price for a BMW 3 for sale is $12,484. This has increased by 21.12% since the previous month.
- Buyers: You can use this average price to figure out if a BMW 3 you’re looking at is a good price for you.
- Sellers: You can use this average price to make sure you are setting a competitive price for your BMW 3.
BMW 3 cars for sale on Gumtree
Overview, Look, and Feel of the BMW 3
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG, or BMW as the brand is better known, is a German car manufacturer that was founded in 1913 in Bavaria, Germany, originally to focus on aircraft engine manufacture. With aircraft production prohibited in Germany following World War I, BMW turned first to railway brake manufacture and then to motorcycle design before building their first car in 1927. A refocus during World War II saw BMW turn once more to aircraft engine design, producing over 30,000 engines during the course of the conflict, before finally taking shape as the high-quality car manufacturer for which it has earned its fame over the past 6 decades.
The year 1952 saw BMW’s first post-war passenger car. The Frankfurt motor show in 1961 saw the introduction of its popular 1500 sedan, which spawned a series of successful models in its wake including the 1600, 1800, 2500, and 2800. By 1970, BMW was the brand of choice for many new car buyers, offering a compelling combination of quality engineering and build, reliability, performance, and styling.
The last decade of the 20th century saw BMW extend their grip on the car market, taking ownership of Rover and its well-known Rover, Mini, and Land Rover brands as well as a number of dormant names such as the Austin, Triumph, and Wolseley. After a decade of difficulties in positioning the Rover brands alongside their own, BMW eventually disposed of the company but retained the rights to the brand names, including Mini which has gone on to be extremely successful in its new incarnation.
With a wide-ranging offering of model designs, BMW has remained at the forefront of vehicle sales for some time. It is a trusted brand with plenty of badge appeal, and prospective buyers with the budget to do so are very likely to add at least one BMW model to their shortlist.
BMW has a distinguished history in motor racing. Partnerships with Williams, McLaren, and Brabham have seen significant Formula One success. BMW has won the World Touring Car Championship and Le Mans 24 Hour Race and, further back in time, the Mille Miglia and RAC Rally.
BMW 3 Engine Specs and Performance
Overview of BMW Models
BMW models are designated with an ‘e-code’ for each generation, which in turn is combined with the relevant ‘Series’ number in order to identify individual models. Past models of note include the M1, a sports coupe that enjoyed significant success in the 1970s, which was the result of a partnership with Lamborghini. The Z1 and Z3 were also popular compact 2-seater roadsters. The New Sixes were the predecessors to today’s 7 Series cars while the New Class models are acknowledged as the first sports sedans, which initiated the rise of the enduring popular 3 Series that now forms the core of the BMW offering.
Current models include the 1 Series, launched in 2004, which is currently BMW’s smallest car and available to the used car market in a hatchback and coupe convertible format. The 3 Series is BMW’s most successful model, which dates back to 1975, and is available in a station wagon, sedan, and coupe format. The 5 Series is a mid-size car aimed at the executive market and comes in station wagon and sedan format. There is also a 5 Series Gran Turismo, which came to market in 2010 and is aimed at a market niche somewhere between the station wagon and 4x4 crossover.
The flagship executive car in sedan format is the 7 Series, which features a number of engineering innovations, while the new 6 Series is a grand touring luxury sport model based on the 5 Series platform. BMW now denotes all sports models with an even number, with the 6 Series and X6 sports activity coupe joined by the Z4 sports roadster.
X Series BMWs are all aimed at the 4x4 market, ranging from the X1 and X3 through to the X5 and X6. High-performance models are denoted as the M Series, which includes the M1, M3, M5, M6, X5M, and X6M, and they are developed by their motorsport subsidiary.
Standard Equipment and Options for the BMW 3
Standard Equipment and Options for the BMW X3
One of the biggest criticisms of the new BMW X3 when it first hit the market was the low-quality trim in comparison to its bigger, beefier, and better-kitted-out X5 sibling. Rather than the sleek interior styling and sumptuous leather finishes, it featured a rather utilitarian style that lacked a feeling of any substance. Subsequent generations have addressed this somewhat. However, after veering strongly in the direction of quality, with leather seats and smart interior trims, BMW has pulled back slightly on this aspect in order to keep pricing competitive rather than aiming for the very top of the market.
BMW being BMW, of course, there are plenty of features no matter what the model, and the X3 is no exception. Expect to find different equipment and options between different generations, with the 2011 incarnations packing a fairly impressive punch when it comes to fittings and extras. Amenities such as a reversing camera, high-resolution colour monitor, intelligent driver interface, USB audio, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity, keyless start, and electronic power steering all feature as standard kit across the range on this generation. Leather seat trim is found on the higher-spec models, which also offer a power seat adjustment and, at the top of the range, can be found a chrome and aluminium exterior highlight package and electric tailgate.
BMW 3' Competition
There is some competition between the different BMW branded models, though which you choose largely comes down to budget. Many other manufacturers give BMW a run for their money across a range of models, with their German counterparts Volkswagen and Audi competing strongly from compact models through to 4x4s. At the top end of the market, Jaguar and Porsche pose strong competition while further down the line expect to find Alfa Romeo, Lexus, and Volvo as well as a raft of other major household names.
- Average Distance: 35000 km
- Body Type: 4D Sedan
- Country Of Origin: Germany
- Compliance Plate Location: Pass Side Lower B-Pillar
- Release Date: 01/02/2015
Dimensions & Weights
- Vehicles Length: 4624 mm
- Vehicle Width: 1811 mm
- Vehicles Height: 1429 mm
- Ground Clearance: 140 mm
- Track Front: 1531 mm
- Track Rear: 1572 mm
- Wheelbase: 2810 mm
- Turning Circle: 11.3 m
- No of Doors: 4
- No of Seats: 5
- Gross Vehicle Mass: 1980 kg
- Kerb Weight: 1430 kg
- Vehicle's Payload Capacity: 550 kg
- Towing Capacity: 1600 kg
- Towing Capacity Braked: 1600 kg
- Towing Capacity Unbraked: 745 kg
Engine & Performance
- Engine Type: Turbo MPFI
- Bore Stroke: 77x85.8
- Cylinder Configuration: Turbo 4
- Cylinder Compression Ratio: 10.5
- Engine Capacity CC: 1598 cc
- Engine Capacity Litres: 1.6L
- Power: 100kW @ 4400rpm
- Torque: 220Nm @ 1350rpm
- No. Of Valves: 16
- Valve Gear: Variable Double Overhead Cam
Fuel & Emissions
- CO2 Emissions: 137
- Fuel Consumption City: 5.9
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 57 L
- Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded Petrol
Servicing & Warranty
- Service KMs: 25000 km
- Service Months: 12
- Warranty KMs: Unlimited
- Warranty Months: 36
Transmission & Steering
- Driven Wheels: Rear Wheel Drive
- Brake Front: Disc - Ventilated
- Brake Rear: Disc - Ventilated
- Rim Size: 7.5 in
- Rim Width: 7.5 in
- Suspension Front: Anti roll bar, Coil Spring, Double wishbone, Gas damper
- Suspension Rear: Anti roll bar, Coil Spring, Gas damper, Multi-link system
- Transmission type: 8 SP Automatic
- Steering Mechanism: Rack & Pinion - Power Assisted
- Tyre Front: 225/50 R17
- Tyre Rear: 225/50 R17
- Rim Size Front: 7.5x17 in
- Rim Size Rear: 7.5x17 in
- 12 Volt Power Outlet
- Dual Front Airbag Package
- Anti-lock Braking
- Auto Climate Control with Dual Temp Zones
- Adjustable Front Seats - Manual
- Ambient Interior Lighting
- Adjustable Speed Limiter
- Automatic Stop/Start
- Ambient Temperature Display
- Anti-theft Wheel Bolts
- AUX/USB Input Socket
- 17 Inch Alloy Wheels
- Brake Assist
- Body Coloured Exterior Mirrors
- Brake Energy Regeneration
- Bottle Holders - Front Seats
- Brake-pad Wear Indicator
- Cornering Brake Control
- Cruise Control
- Centre Console Box With Sliding Armrest
- Chrome Exhaust Tip(s)
- Cargo Net - On Floor
- Chrome Grille Surround
- Cup Holders - Front Seats
- Cargo Tie Down Hooks/Rings
**These car model details represent the most recent manufactured version of the vehicle. Visit an individual listing page to see specifications specific to the vehicle model and year.
Average Price By Year
This chart shows the average price per year for a BMW 3. There is a lot to learn from the price of a car per year! For example:
- What is the best year to buy a BMW 3? If you are looking to buy a BMW 3, you can see which years hold their value the best. Check out the Dark Green Bar to see the Gumtree Recommended Year to Buy for a BMW 3.
- When should I sell my used BMW 3? If you want to sell your car, this chart makes it easy to see what your BMW 3 car is worth right now, compared to other years.
Average Price By Kilometers
This chart shows the average price by mileage for the BMW 3 based on kilometers of the car.
- How many kms are too many on a used BMW 3? Use this chart to see the average price for a BMW 3 depending on the kms driven, and decide which price and mileage combination works for you.
Number of ads by Fuel Type
This chart shows the number of ads for a BMW 3 for sale per fuel type listed on Gumtree. If you’re looking to specifically find a diesel or petrol BMW 3 car, you’ll know what the availability is of each type so you can make your decision.
Number of ads by Colour
This chart shows the number of ads in each colour for a BMW 3 car for sale listed on Gumtree. Here you can see how many BMW 3 cars there are in your dream colour, and get exactly the car you want!
Search For More Cars
Car models with Similar Price