Toyota Hilux Pricing, Reviews, and Specifications
Average Toyota Hilux Price: $12,689
Toyota Hilux Model Review
- Most popular ute and second most popular vehicle in the country
- Unbreakable construction
- Legendary Toyota reliability
- Off-roading capabilities
- On-road ride quality is exceptionally smooth
- Engine power and torque trails behind competitors
- Safety features lag behind competition as well
- HiLux is a work truck, so expect to find them abused
The current average price for a Toyota Hilux for sale is $12,689. This has decreased by 14.58% since the previous month.
- Buyers: You can use this average price to figure out if a Toyota Hilux you’re looking at is a good price for you.
- Sellers: You can use this average price to make sure you are setting a competitive price for your Toyota Hilux.
Toyota Hilux cars for sale on Gumtree
Overview, Look, and Feel of the Toyota Hilux
Overview, Look, and Feel of the Toyota HiLux
The Toyota HiLux is the quintessential 4x4, first seen in Australia in 1968. For the most part, the HiLux is easily recognised as a ute chassis with various body types, but for a while, starting in 1984, the HiLux also experimented with a 4x4 body type. First known here as the HiLux Surf, the model eventually developed a split personality, which necessitated the HiLux Surf / 4Runner splitting off and continuing as a fully enclosed midsize 4x4. The HiLux went on to further diversify and embody what a pickup could be.
Starting with the chassis, driveline, and powertrain, Toyota has put extra thought into the HiLux, including beefed up suspension components and a strong four-wheel drive system. The engines are tuned for torque, not overall power, which makes for exceptional off-roading, but still have decent power for highway acceleration. While the frame is designed strong for off-roading, the Toyota HiLux delivers a much smoother ride on-road than you might expect. It still handles like a truck of course, but won't shake your teeth out on the road either.
For the most part, everything about the HiLux is variable. Choices include engines, transmissions, cab sizes, pickup tray or utility tray, and 4x2 or 4x4 drivetrain. After that, of course, are various trim options from the basic to the fully-equipped. New models, depending on configuration and trim level, range from about $19,000 to $54,000, which means that, once these get traded in, there's a used Toyota HiLux in everyone's budget range.
The Toyota HiLux is so diverse and popular in Australia, in fact, that the country accounts for better than 5% of HiLux global sales. The Toyota HiLux was also just second in sales of all vehicles, making it one of only two utes in the top ten. What's making the HiLux so popular? The image Toyota has created for the HiLux is its unbreakable nature, and as a result, the HiLux has been seen attacking the North and South Poles, and volcanic mountain trails just to prove the point.
Toyota Hilux Engine Specs and Performance
Toyota HiLux Engine Specs and Performance
The sixth-generation Toyota HiLux, starting in the mid-1990s, was available with a 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual transmission, as well as two-wheel and four-wheel drive options. Toyota HiLux was available with, depending on the year and model, four different engines.
The 1998-2001 HiLux Workmate 4x2 was equipped with a 2.0L i4 producing 81kW and 167Nm, but this engine was eventually abandoned in favour of the more powerful 2.4L in 2002. The 1995-2004 HiLux 4x2 was equipped with a 2.4L i4 producing 106kW and 217Nm, while the 4x4 version was fitted with a 2.7L i4 producing 112kW and 240Nm. A 3.4L V6 was also available producing 142kW and 298Nm.
The seventh-generation Toyota HiLux, starting in 2005, changed over to a different engine line-up. The 2.7L i4 produces 119kW and 244Nm, but those looking for a little more torque will want to find the 3.0L turbo diesel i4, producing 127kW and 352Nm. The torque difference alone makes the 3.0L much more capable off-road, and saves much more fuel on the road. The 2.7ℓ averages in the low- to mid-11L/100km, while the 3.0L turbo diesel ranges in the low- to mid-8L/100km.
The 4.0L V6 is another powerful engine, offering more torque than the 3.0L turbo diesel, but in gasoline, rating at 170kW and 361Nm. Fuel consumption for the 4.0L is just about the same as the 2.7L i4, in the mid-11L to low-13L/100km. Since 2008, the TRD version amps up the power and torque with a supercharger, making for a total output of 225kW and 453Nm, nearly double that of the 2.7L. The supercharger is also available as a bolt-on to the standard 4.0L V6.
Standard Equipment and Options for the Toyota Hilux
Standard Equipment and Options for the Toyota HiLux
For the most part, HiLux has relied on the same mix of reliable equipment to get the job done. Trim levels are fairly simple because this is, after all, a work truck. SR models are equipped with 16” steel or alloy wheels, basic AM/FM/CD audio system, and basic climate controls with air conditioning. Interior styling is utilitarian, but solid.
The SR5 models are signified by some finer-looking interior plastics, 17” alloy wheels, the addition of multi-information touch display and automatic climate control, cruise control, and automatic headlights. The audio system is also USB and Bluetooth capable. Safety features include six airbags and standard stability control. Satellite navigation with voice command is also an option. Finally, TRD models added a supercharger under the bonnet and performance shock absorbers to the mix.
Toyota Hilux' Competition
Toyota HiLux's Competition
The Holden Colorado and Nissan Navara might be the closest vehicles to consider, and while one may offer more power, or perhaps more flexibility, only the Toyota HiLux offers the perfect mix, which is probably why it is the second-most-popular vehicle in the country. When compared to the Holden Colorado or Nissan Navara, the Toyota HiLux may seem underpowered or behind the times, but then, why mess with a perfect combination? There is also the fact that Toyota engines and transmissions, when properly maintained, are practically indestructible.
- Average Distance: 52000 km
- Body Type: Dual Cab P/Up
- Country Of Origin: Thailand
- Compliance Plate Location: Lower Pass Side Centre Pillar
- Release Date: 01/11/2013
Dimensions & Weights
- Vehicles Length: 5135 mm
- Vehicle Width: 1760 mm
- Vehicles Height: 1735 mm
- Ground Clearance: 177 mm
- Track Front: 1510 mm
- Track Rear: 1510 mm
- Wheelbase: 3085 mm
- Turning Circle: 11.8 m
- No of Doors: 4
- No of Seats: 5
- Gross Vehicle Mass: 2710 kg
- Kerb Weight: 1670 kg
- Vehicle's Payload Capacity: 1040 kg
- Towing Capacity: 2250 kg
- Towing Capacity Braked: 2250 kg
- Towing Capacity Unbraked: 750 kg
Engine & Performance
- Engine Type: Diesel Turbo F/Inj
- Bore Stroke: 96x103
- Cylinder Configuration: Diesel Turbo 4
- Cylinder Compression Ratio: 17.9
- Engine Capacity CC: 2982 cc
- Engine Capacity Litres: 3.0L
- Power: 126kW @ 3600rpm
- Torque: 343Nm @ 1400rpm
- No. Of Valves: 16
- Valve Gear: Dual Overhead Cam
Fuel & Emissions
- CO2 Emissions: 214
- Air pollution Rating: 3
- Fuel Consumption City: 8.1
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 76 L
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Green House Rating: 6
- Green Vehicle Guide Rating: 2.5
Servicing & Warranty
- Service KMs: 10000 km
- Service Months: 6
- Warranty KMs: 100000 km
- Warranty Months: 36
Transmission & Steering
- Driven Wheels: Rear Wheel Drive
- Gear ratio: 3.583
- Brake Front: Disc - Ventilated
- Brake Rear: Drum
- Rim Size: 6 in
- Rim Width: 6 in
- Suspension Front: Anti roll bar, Coil Spring, Double wishbone, Gas damper
- Suspension Rear: Gas damper, Leaf spring, Live axle
- Transmission type: 5 SP Manual
- Steering Mechanism: Rack & Pinion - Power Assisted
- Tyre Front: 205/70 R15
- Tyre Rear: 205/70 R15
- Rim Size Front: 6x15 in
- Rim Size Rear: 6x15 in
- 12 Volt Power Outlet
- Dual Front Airbag Package
- Anti-lock Braking
- Antenna - Roof-mounted Bee-sting type
- Adjustable Steering Wheel - Tilt Only
- AUX/USB Input Socket
- Body Coloured Front Bumper
- Bottle Holders - Front and Rear
- Cruise Control
- Centre Courtesy/Dome Light(s)
- Chrome Grille Surround
- Cup Holders - Front and Rear
- Centre Console Box - Multi-purpose
- Central Locking Remote Control
- Cloth Trim
- Door Pockets - Front and Rear
- Headrests - Adjustable on All Seats
- Halogen Headlights
- Engine Immobiliser
- Intermittent Wipers - Variable
- Low Fuel Warning
- Lockable Glove Box Compartment
- MP3 Compatible CD Player
- Mobile Phone Connectivity
- Map/Reading Lights - Front
**These car model details represent the most recent manufactured version of the vehicle. Visit an individual listing page to see specifications specific to the vehicle model and year.
Average Price By Year
This chart shows the average price per year for a Toyota Hilux. There is a lot to learn from the price of a car per year! For example:
- What is the best year to buy a Toyota Hilux? If you are looking to buy a Toyota Hilux, you can see which years hold their value the best. Check out the Dark Green Bar to see the Gumtree Recommended Year to Buy for a Toyota Hilux.
- When should I sell my used Toyota Hilux? If you want to sell your car, this chart makes it easy to see what your Toyota Hilux car is worth right now, compared to other years.
Average Price By Kilometers
This chart shows the average price by mileage for the Toyota Hilux based on kilometers of the car.
- How many kms are too many on a used Toyota Hilux? Use this chart to see the average price for a Toyota Hilux depending on the kms driven, and decide which price and mileage combination works for you.
Number of ads by Fuel Type
This chart shows the number of ads for a Toyota Hilux for sale per fuel type listed on Gumtree. If you’re looking to specifically find a diesel or petrol Toyota Hilux car, you’ll know what the availability is of each type so you can make your decision.
Number of ads by Colour
This chart shows the number of ads in each colour for a Toyota Hilux car for sale listed on Gumtree. Here you can see how many Toyota Hilux cars there are in your dream colour, and get exactly the car you want!
Search For More Cars
Car models with Similar Price