Searching for a quality pram for your kids is one of the more important decisions a parent can make. It’s not just about mobility after all, but comfort, safety and convenience, too. With the wide range of options available on the market, making the right choice can become a little tricky. Which is exactly why we’ve put together this guide to help you navigate the ins and outs of finding the perfect pram to become your daily parenting companion. Whether you’re weaving through busy city streets, taking a leisurely stroll in the park or on a family outing, the right pram can make a world of difference.
Exploring Different Pram Styles
When it comes to prams, one size certainly doesn’t fit all. Depending on your lifestyle, location, and specific needs, you might lean towards one style over another. Let’s break them down together.
Three-wheel vs. Four-wheel Prams
Three-wheeler baby prams are known for their ability to move over rougher surfaces like beaches or hiking paths and are sometimes referred to as a mountain buggy. They might not be as stable as their four-wheeled counterparts, which are better for urban areas and much more compact in comparison. However, a three-wheeler pram is perfect for when you want to go out with the family for an outdoor picnic, a relaxing bushwalk, or down to the beach.
Prams and Strollers
While traditional prams have a mode that lets you lay them flat for a newborn, strollers are lightweight and versatile. They’re a great pick for older babies and toddlers that are always on the move, hopping in and out while exploring the world. Prams and strollers are both a good pick for new parents and old, though you might want to think about upgrading from a pram to a stroller when your baby becomes a toddler.
Baby Travel Systems
Parents on the go will benefit a lot from a baby travel system. By combining car seats with a pram, you can enjoy the seamless transition of a car ride to a stroll. You’ll even be able to rest easy knowing that your baby or toddler has all the safety features they need, even while you’re out and about.
Got twins or two little bubs close in age? A double pram or stroller might be your perfect solution. Taking out the hassle of tackling two kids at once, you can enjoy any kind of adventure with one of these.
Key Considerations When Purchasing a Pram
If you find yourself struggling to think of all the things you might need to consider when searching for strollers, baby prams or car seats, then look no further. We’ve compiled a handy list of things for you to keep in mind and consider.
Safety First and Foremost
When it comes to our little ones, safety is everyone’s biggest concern. While all prams in Australia have to follow specific safety standards, it’s essential to look for enhanced features:
- Harnesses: A five-point harness is a must. It ensures that your child is securely strapped in, preventing any accidental tumbles or slips.
- Brakes: Ensure that the pram has effective brakes, especially if you live in hilly areas or frequently use escalators and elevators.
- Australian Standards: Always check for the Australian Standard certification. It’s a guarantee that the pram has undergone rigorous testing and meets the highest safety criteria.
Practicality in Everyday Use
Prams aren’t just about getting your child from point A to point B; they’re a tool you’ll be using daily. That’s exactly why you need to make sure they cater to all of your practical needs.
- Handle Height: If you’re tall, a pram with adjustable handles can be a back-saver. It ensures you don’t have to stoop while pushing the pram.
- Terrain Suitability: Not all prams are built the same. While some glide effortlessly on city streets, others are designed for rough terrains. Choose one that suits your regular routes.
- Compatibility: If you’re a frequent user of public transport or have a small car boot, a compact, foldable pram is ideal.
Functionality for a Smooth Ride
The little features often make the most significant difference:
- Adjustable Features: From reclining seats to adjustable footrests, these features ensure your child’s comfort during long rides.
- Reversible Seats: Want your bub to face you? Or explore the world? Reversible seats offer the flexibility of both.
- User Experience: Think about the ease of folding the pram, the smoothness of the ride, and other factors that enhance your and your child’s experience.
Accessorise for Convenience
While the pram is the main attraction, the accessories can significantly enhance your and your baby’s experience:
- Rain Covers: Perfect for unpredictable Australian weather, ensuring your child stays dry during sudden showers.
- Storage Baskets: For shopping trips or when you need to carry that extra baby gear.
- Other Add-ons: From sunshades to drink holders, the world of pram accessories is vast.
Price: Value Over Cost
While brand names often come with a heftier price tag, they also promise quality and durability. Don’t settle for the first pram you see. Explore, compare, and find the best deals. Remember, it’s about value, not just cost.
Benefits of Buying Second-Hand Prams
- Economic and Efficient: Buying a second-hand pram isn’t just cost-effective; it’s smart. Budget-conscious parents may be able to find a quality pram for just a fraction of the cost of a brand-new one.
- Eco-Friendly Choices: Every second-hand pram bought is one less item in a landfill. By choosing preloved, you’re making an environmentally conscious decision, reducing waste and promoting sustainability.
- Access Premium Brands: Have you been dreaming of that high-end brand but are deterred by the price? Second-hand markets often have premium brands available at much more affordable rates.
- Unique Finds Await: The second-hand market is a treasure trove of unique finds. From limited edition designs to classic models that are no longer in production, you never know what gem you might stumble upon.
Navigating Pram Purchases on Gumtree
Gumtree, Australia’s vibrant online marketplace, is a treasure trove for those on the hunt for the perfect pram. Whether you’re looking for a brand-new stroller or a preloved three-wheeler, the platform boasts an extensive selection to cater to every need and budget.
- Refine and Find: With Gumtree’s user-friendly interface, you can easily refine your search. Whether it’s by brand, type, or price range, narrowing down your options has never been simpler.
- Local Listings for Quick Transactions: One of Gumtree’s standout features is its focus on local listings. This means you can potentially inspect the pram, meet the seller, and even close the deal, all in a single day.
- Manufacturers vs. Private Sellers: Gumtree offers a mix of both. While manufacturers assure brand new or certified products, private sellers can offer unique finds and negotiable prices.
Safety and Quality Checks
When buying a second-hand pram, making sure it has all of the right safety features is super important. Try to keep these tips in mind when searching for a pram to purchase.
When it comes to buying a second-hand pram, there’s no substitute for a hands-on inspection. Meeting in person lets you give the pram a good look over, checking for any visible wear and tear, testing the mobility of the wheels, and ensuring that the brakes are working correctly.
The harness is also a critical safety feature and something to particularly watch for. During your inspection, make sure that all the buckles click properly into place and that straps are free from frays or damages. Open and fold the pram to see how smoothly it operates—this should give you an idea of how usable it is and if any mechanisms are jammed or broken. Sometimes, it’s the subtle signs—a wobbly wheel or slightly torn fabric—that can indicate the pram’s overall condition. Trust your gut feelings when looking at potential prams to purchase.
Ask for History
Understanding a second hand pram’s history can tell you a lot about its conditions and safety levels. Just like you’d ask about a used car’s accident history, make sure the pram hasn’t had any particularly big mishaps. Even minor accidents can leave damage to things like its structural integrity. If there are clear signs or replacements or repairs, that could be either a sign that it’s been well taken care of or something to potentially watch out for. Genuine replacements are preferable since they make sure the pram sticks to original safety standards. Understanding how long the pram has been in use can give you an idea of its wear and tear. A pram used daily for several years might have more hidden issues than one used occasionally for a short period.
When it comes to your child’s safety, there’s no room for compromise. Make sure it meets all of the Australian safety standards. These standards are rigorous and designed to ensure your kids are given the maximum protection they need. Look for labels or stickers on the pram or stroller that might give you an idea of its certification. If you can’t find any, don’t hesitate to ask sellers for details or proof. Occasionally, prams are recalled due to safety concerns and it’s always good practice to check if the pram model you’re considering has ever been recalled.
Discover Your Perfect Pram on Gumtree
Now it’s time to go out and find your perfect pram or stroller! And you just might be able to find it on Gumtree.com. With a wide selection of models, user reviews and safety guidelines, the platform is designed to make sure you find a pram that’s perfect for you and your baby. So hop online, get exploring, and find the pram of you and your baby’s dreams.