Volkswagen Golf pricing, reviews, and specifications
Average Volkswagen Golf price: $11,345
Volkswagen Golf model review
- A bit of a classic; the GTi coupe is guaranteed to turn heads as you pass
- Looks, charm, personality, and plenty of kit to boot
- Plenty of alternatives to choose from without the hefty price tag; this is a crowded market
- Servicing costs are higher for VW models than for some of their Asian competition
The current average price for a Volkswagen Golf for sale is $11,345. This has decreased by 0.98% since the previous month.
- Buyers: You can use this average price to figure out if a Volkswagen Golf you’re looking at is a good price for you.
- Sellers: You can use this average price to make sure you’re setting a competitive price for your Volkswagen Golf.
Volkswagen Golf cars for sale on Gumtree
Overview, look, and feel of the Volkswagen Golf
Overview, Look, and Feel of the Volkswagen Golf
The Volkswagen Golf is often hailed as the ultimate subcompact car. It has been in production since 1974, and it is popular the world over for its combination of good looks, compact sizing, performance, and comfort. The Golf came to market as an alternative to the Volkswagen Beetle, but just as the Beetle has gone on to prove its longevity, the Golf has firmly established its own rather large niche in a crowded market where quality counts.
The Golf started life as a three-door hatchback, with the addition of a five-door hatchback, an estate version, a convertible, and a saloon. The latter was marketed in Australia as the Jetta, before being rebranded as the Bora, which was then replaced by the Jetta once more. The Golf is perfectly suited to taking on this myriad of guises ' large enough to deliver an imposing presence in estate form, zippy enough to make the perfect compact three-door runabout around town, and classy enough to make the perfect convertible.
The earliest Golfs were assembled in Australia from kit imported from Germany, but this ended in 1977 following Nissan's purchase of the VW factory. All later models are fully imported. Imports halted completely between 1981 and 1990, so other than the odd individual import, it is extremely rare to come across a used Golf dating from this time. The 8V GTI Golf 2, however, along with the Golf 1 Cabrio, hailed the return of new VW car sales, and there are now many examples from the past 13 years of manufacture available on the used car market.
Volkswagen Golf engine specs and performance
Volkswagen Golf Engine Specs and Performance
The VW Golf GTi is the perfect drive for any road, at any time, in any conditions. This was a big seller throughout the second half of the past decade for good reason. Coming in three-door and five-door format, it gives plenty of poke whether on the open road or zipping around the town, with a 6-speed manual gearbox or 6-speed auto, though some owners complain that the latter is a little slow on the uptake and jittery in busy urban driving conditions. The handling is excellent, with great traction control and, for the most part, Golfs that have been looked after have stood up well to the test of time.
Power in the petrol version comes in the form of a 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo engine, giving 147kW and 280Nm of torque, delivered via front-wheel drive. At 8.1L/100km, fuel economy is fair, and in keeping with its European pedigree, the Golf has a five-star ANCAP rating for safety.
As you would expect, the TDI from the later model range fares better on fuel economy, ranging from 5.3L/100km to 7.7L/100km depending on the engine, while a newer TSI with 1.4L engine comes in around 6.5L/100km.
Standard equipment and options for the Volkswagen Golf
Standard Equipment and Options for the Volkswagen Golf
The VW Golf seemingly has it all ' looks, charm, personality, and a long list of quality kit. On a typical 2010 Trendline model, expect to find 16-inch alloy wheels, anti-lock brakes, air-conditioning with pollen filter, a whole range of front and rear airbags, MP3, power windows, and smart leather trim to gear stick, hand brake, and steering wheel.
Volkswagen Golf's competition
Volkswagen Golf's Competition
The subcompact car market is crowded, and the Golf spans so many guises that its competition is great. Many of the Japanese and Korean models are pretenders to its throne, but as yet, none have really managed to top the Golf from its position. The earliest Golfs stack up against the Mini Cooper S for funky looks and performance.
If you are thinking about buying a used Golf but are worried about the price tag, there are others that are certainly worth consideration, such as the Getz from Hyundai, Nissan Micra, Mitubishi Colt, and Yaris from Toyota. For sporty runabouts with plenty of poke, consider the Ford Focus XR5T or Subaru WRX.
- Average Distance: 36000 km
- Body Type: 5D Hatchback
- Country Of Origin: Germany
- Compliance Plate Location: RH Door Apert. on Lower B-Pill
- Release Date: 01/08/2014
Dimensions & Weights
- Vehicles Length: 4264 mm
- Vehicle Width: 1799 mm
- Vehicles Height: 1442 mm
- Ground Clearance: 142 mm
- Track Front: 1536 mm
- Track Rear: 1514 mm
- Wheelbase: 2620 mm
- Turning Circle: 10.9 m
- No of Doors: 5
- No of Seats: 5
- Kerb Weight: 1435 kg
Engine & Performance
- Engine Type: Turbo MPFI
- Bore Stroke: 82.5x92.8
- Cylinder Configuration: Turbo 4
- Cylinder Compression Ratio: 9.3
- Engine Capacity CC: 1984 cc
- Engine Capacity Litres: 2.0L
- Power: 206kW @ 5100rpm
- Torque: 380Nm @ 1800rpm
- No. Of Valves: 16
- Valve Gear: Variable Double Overhead Cam
Fuel & Emissions
- CO2 Emissions: 164
- Air pollution Rating: 7.5
- Fuel Consumption City: 7.1
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 55 L
- Fuel Type: Premium Unleaded Petrol
- Green House Rating: 7.5
- Green Vehicle Guide Rating: 4.5
Servicing & Warranty
- Service KMs: 15000 km
- Service Months: 12
- Warranty KMs: Unlimited
- Warranty Months: 36
Transmission & Steering
- Driven Wheels: All Wheel Drive
- Brake Front: Disc - Ventilated
- Brake Rear: Disc
- Rim Size: 8 in
- Rim Width: 8 in
- Suspension Front: Anti roll bar, Coil Spring, Gas damper, Lower control arm, MacPherson strut
- Suspension Rear: Anti roll bar, Coil Spring, Gas damper, Multi-link system
- Transmission type: 6 SP Auto Direct Shift
- Steering Mechanism: Rack & Pinion - Power Assisted
- Tyre Front: 235/35 R19
- Tyre Rear: 235/35 R19
- Rim Size Front: 8x19 in
- Rim Size Rear: 8x19 in
- 12 Volt Power Outlet
- Dual Front Airbag Package
- Airbag Knee Driver
- Anti-lock Braking
- Auto Climate Control with Dual Temp Zones
- Adjustable Front Seats - Manual
- Ambient Interior Lighting
- Alarm System/Remote Anti Theft
- Antenna - Roof-mounted Shark Fin type
- Adjustable Speed Limiter
- Alloy Sports Pedals
- Adjustable Steering Wheel - Tilt & Telescopic
- Ambient Temperature Display
- Anti-theft Wheel Bolts
- AUX/USB Input Socket
- 19 Inch Alloy Wheels
- Brake Assist
- Body Coloured Bumpers
- Body Coloured Exterior Door Handles
- Bottle Holders - Front Seats
- Brake-pad Wear Indicator
- Cruise Control
- Chrome Exterior Mirrors
- Chrome Exhaust Tip(s)
- Cargo Cover
**These car model details represent the most recent manufactured version of the vehicle. Visit an individual listing page to see specifications specific to the vehicle model and year.
Average price by year
This chart shows the average price per year for a Volkswagen Golf. There is a lot to learn from the price of a car per year! For example:
- What is the best year to buy a Volkswagen Golf? If you’re looking to buy a Volkswagen Golf, you can see which years hold their value the best. Check out the dark blue bar to see the Gumtree recommended year to buy for a Volkswagen Golf.
- When should I sell my used Volkswagen Golf? If you want to sell your car, this chart makes it easy to see what your Volkswagen Golf car is worth right now, compared to other years.
Average price by kilometres
This chart shows the average price by kilometres for the Volkswagen Golf based on kilometres of the car.
- How many kilometres are too many on a used Volkswagen Golf? Use this chart to see the average price for a Volkswagen Golf depending on the kilometres driven, and decide which price and kilometre combination works for you.
Number of ads by fuel type
This chart shows the number of ads for a Volkswagen Golf for sale per fuel type listed on Gumtree. If you’re looking to specifically find a diesel or petrol Volkswagen Golf car, you’ll know what the availability is of each type so you can make your decision.
Number of ads by colour
This chart shows the number of ads in each colour for a Volkswagen Golf car for sale listed on Gumtree. Here you can see how many Volkswagen Golf cars there are in your dream colour, and get exactly the car you want!
Search for more Cars
Car models with similar price