Fitter and turner / toolmaker
I'm a metalwork designer and artist with a disability (I use a wheelchair). I produce CAD drawings , come up with project ideas and plan machining orders of operation. I can't operate tools, so I'm looking for an assistant to construct these projects in my home workshop. I currently employ a fitter and turner and am looking for a second fitter and turner / machinist to increase my workshop time and take on bigger projects.
If you're a skilled or qualified machinist looking for on going part time work (16-25 hours a week casual) with a great hourly rate, this job will suit you well. If you love DIY projects, being creative, problem solving and you take pride in your work, this job will be great fun.
Also considering advanced amateurs such as model engineers and clockmakers with experience, ability to work within time constraints and a solid understanding of machine tool safety.
Pay rate: It's difficult to name a rate, as I'm considering a variety of applicants from, pros,hobbyists and clockmakers. However, casual is, by default 25% higher than full-time salary work. Includes 9.5% superannuation. Please contact me to discuss.
- Trade qualification: Fitter and turner, machinist or toolmaker
- Ability to interpret CAD drawings
-Marking out / layout using layout fluid or dye, scribes,rulers, square, protractor, compass
- Job setup, positioning of odd shaped parts like rough castings
- Experience with operating a manual metal lathe (gear head,300mm swing, 900mm between centres, DRO)
- Experience with operating a manual milling machine (variables peed, ISO 30 spindle, travels: X 450mm, Y 200, Z 470, DRO)
-Using auxiliary tools (drill press, bandsaw, die grinder)
-Using hand measuring tools (micrometer, digital calipers, height gauge)
-Ability to finish and refine parts using hand files. Bench work
- Ability to work unsupervised if necessary (usually just an hour or two during a shift)
- Attention to detail and finishing parts to a high standard
-Willingness to work as my 'pair of hands', so I can build my projects with assistance. You're a team player, in other words.
- Drivers Licence and vehicle, a reference from a previous employer or course instructor and an up to date police check
- TIG and MIG welding
- Oxy /propane brazing and silver soldering
- bending , forming and riveting parts using cold or hot forging (hammer and anvil)
- A creative streak—I like to use machining to create decorative objects like trinket boxes
Some projects I'm interested in taking on include jigs,fixtures and tooling to improve productivity, parts for a CNC plasma cutting table, a model steam engine, brass antique style gadgets, gears and other steampunk inspired gizmos.
Here's some of my finished projects. The cannon is almost finished (copy & paste the link):
Check out my pinterest boards for design ideas I like:
Please contact me via email if you're interested and to submit your resume.
To note: This is a home workshop, however I'm a registered business (RAS Visual, ABN: 55 409 792 680) with Workcover insurance and 17 employees.
- Date Listed:03/12/2019
- Last Edited:03/12/2019
- Salary Type:Hourly Rate
- Advertised By:Private
- Job Type:Casual
Fitters - Sunshine
Welder - Northern Suburbs
Auto Electrician - Sunshine
TIG welder / Sheet metal worker - Western Suburbs
Site Engineer wanted for NBN project in Adelaide
Brake Press Operator
Need Welder OR metal Fabricator
Boilermaker welder casual position